For many people, a new year means another opportunity to do better in life. This is the time to think about things you may have ignored last year and focus on them – such as your roofing.
As the end of winter is fast approaching, this is the perfect time to think about the things you need to do for your roof to keep it in good condition throughout the year. To make sure you don’t miss anything, our Redding roofing contractors have prepared a checklist you can use:
Exterior Roof Inspection
- Exterior Layer – Depending on the type of roofing material you have, make sure the structural integrity of the exterior layer is intact. Holes, tears, curling, and warping should be reported to your trusted roofer and repaired as soon as possible.
- Gutters and Downspouts – These two components are responsible for directing water away from your roof and exterior wall. Check for holes, clogs, dents, or loose parts.
- Flashing – The flashing seals off gaps on roofing sections or parts that meet or intersect. Assess for open flaps, blisters, and other forms of physical damage.
- Soffit and Fascia – These boards keep moisture, wind, and critters from getting through the roof. Look for holes, soft (or spongy) spots, and rotting sections.
- Insulation – The condition of your insulation is vital in the longevity and performance of your roof. Make sure it is always dry, otherwise, the thermal efficiency of the roof may decrease.
- Ventilation – Proper ventilation prevents a host of problems, such as curling and buckling of asphalt shingles. Consult expert roofers to determine if you have sufficient ventilation and insulation in the attic.
- Leaks – Leaks in the attic may cause water to seep through your walls and ceiling. They can also make the attic a breeding ground for mold and mildew. Check for signs of leaks and get in touch with us as soon as you can if you find any.
- Clean Gutters and Downspouts – Remove leaves and debris that may block the flow of water.
- Caulk Flashing or Seal Leaks – Take out worn out caulking and apply a fresh one.
- Retab loose asphalt shingles – Depending on the condition of your shingles, simply retabbing unfastened ones may do the trick. For other problems, such as tears and blisters, it’s best to have our roofer replace them.
- Get Rid of Moss – Get rid of dead moss with a broom and install zinc strips to prevent further moss growth. Wash the roof to take out hard to remove stains and other debris, but avoid power washing it, as the process may remove granules and damage your shingles.
Maintaining your roof isn’t difficult when you have a checklist to follow. If you need additional help to care for your roof, consult with Tugwell Roofing. With years of experience in the industry, we offer a range of services, including inspection, replacement, and roof repair in Redding. Contact us for more information on roofing maintenance.